The announcements just keep rolling in!
Today’s is one that I am super-pumped to be announcing, because I’m a sucker for a fabulous cause, a fabulous story, and a fabulous person. Fabulosity to the power of awesome.
I can’t even get to the point, I’m squeeing so hard.
So! Let’s just get to the facts, shall we?
The Mysterious Case of Mr. Strangeway
While Corroded won’t be out ’til Fall 2013, don’t worry! We’re not abandoning you! To ease the gap, Carina Press and I shall be releasing a Summer 2013 novella entitled The Mysterious Case of Mr. Strangeway.
“But Karina,” you cry, “how is this possible? Cherry isn’t in good shape!”
She’s in terrible shape, isn’t she?
Never fear! The Mysterious Case of Mr. Strangeway is a stand-alone short that tells the story of Cherry’s first collection ever. If you recall, she was fifteen when she first began this venture, and only two years a member of Society—or at least, a member of civilized society. In this tale, we’ll see a handful of things that—okay, I won’t lie, I think they’re bloody awesome.
In this novella, Cherry will:
- meet Micajah Hawke for the first time, five years younger and lacking somewhat in polish;
- go head to head with her first collector trying to beat her to the bounty;
- step into the middle of a conspiracy determined to wreak havoc on London;
- discover by sheer accident and mayhem-induced coincidence that soot makes the ideal disguise;
- be introduced to a mysterious American you may or may not recognize (FB photo)…
- …and more!
But as cool as that all sounds, there’s something else I think you’d love to know.
Introducing Mr. Strangeway: Look Familiar?
The Mysterious Case of Mr. Strangeway was inspired by a living celebrity.
In a beautiful cross-community move, Steampunk Boba Fett and I are launching The Mysterious Case of Mr. Strangeway into the stratosphere—but we’re going to be doing it for a reason.
I was tickled by the idea of writing a Cherry (mis)adventure involving a man like Steampunk Boba Fett, and my friend Fett there was so charmed by the idea that we put our heads together—I made him take his helmet off, because, you know, ow—and came up with this amazing opportunity to bring steampunk out to the world in a way that highlights all the other awesome things the genre is capable of.
I mean, dude. Steampunk Boba Fett. How is that not right in every way?
Make a Wish
So! Here’s the deal. With his celebrity magic, my words, and Carina Press’s production, we’re joining forces to make a child’s wish come true. To that end, fifty percent—that’s 50% *—of everything I make on this novella, we’ll be donating to the Make a Wish Foundation, Fett’s favorite charity.
What do you have to do?
Why, I’m so glad you asked! It’s very simple: when the pre-order pages and links are ready, or when the book comes out, all you have to do is purchase the novella! The rest will be up to me. I’ll sign over half of everything I make to Make a Wish, and the rest goes right back into making sure I can keep writing for you all.
If the response is good, I’ll sucker—I mean, I’ll ask Steampunk Boba Fett to wander over this way and do a guest post , or maybe a Steampunk Boba Fett related contest.
What do you think? Want to help me and Fett make some kid’s day forever?
* Why only 50% when I’m already donating 100% of Wicked Lies to It Gets Better? Simple realities: momma’s gotta eat. I am hoping that the outreach between Fett, myself and you will more than make up in volume what it might lack in percentage, and therefore we’ll be able to donate as much to Make a Wish as we will to It Gets Better. I have great respect for both programs, but the sparkle in my eyes will fade if I starve myself to donate it all. Want to give Make a Wish more? Tell your friends, your family, your neighbors! I welcome the challenge!